Southern Illinois University Carbondale is a public research university with an enrollment of 20,350. SIUC includes 11 colleges and offers 101 bachelor degree programs, 74 master programs and 32 doctoral/medicine/law programs.
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classifies SIUC as a Research University: High Research Activity. The National Science Foundation ranks SIUC #101 among public universities in the U.S. for total research and development expenditures, and #142 among all U.S. universities. This places SIUC among the top 4 percent of U.S. higher education institutions for research.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale offers nationally ranked programs including:
- #1 Automotive
- #6 College of Education and Human Services Rehabilitation Counseling Training Program
- One of the top military friendly universities
- #47 MFA rankings for “Poets and Writers”
- One of the Top 301 business schools by Princeton Review
- Best Colleges designation by the Princeton Review
- #110 for Research & Development expenditures at public universities and colleges